6 Tips for a Successful Assisted Living Tour
March 3, 2021
Moving to an assisted living community is a big decision. So, you want to make sure you have all the details you need about each community you’re considering. One great way to help make your final choice is through an assisted living tour.
With a little preparation, you can get the details you need and make the most out of your visit. Follow these tips to have a successful experience through each step of your tour.
- Know your priorities ahead of time. Prior to your assisted living tour, have a conversation with your loved one and any other needed family members. If you haven’t already discussed each person’s priorities and concerns, it’s great to do this before your tour. This will make sure your loved one’s priorities and yours are clearly defined. Then, there won’t be any question of what to look for during your visit.
- Make a checklist and write important details down. You’ll want to take notes during your assisted living tour. That way, you can look back after your tour to remember any specific questions and answers. One helpful way to ensure you get all of the details written down is to use a checklist. Start a list of questions in the days before your visit.
- Talk with residents and staff. Even with a virtual tour, you may be able to hear the viewpoint of current residents and staff. During your assisted living tour, ask if they have comments from a resident or if you can briefly speak with someone. You may also have the opportunity to speak with staff members other than your tour guide, such as the administration. Staff set the tone for the community, so use this chance to hear what’s most important to them.
- Consider outdoor areas too. Many families focus on the layout of apartments or shared indoor areas. But don’t forget about the outdoors. According to Extreme Physiology & Medicine, access to outdoor spaces helps with physical activity, mood, and stress for your loved one. Be sure you check out these important features and ask about how your loved one gets to enjoy them.
You’re invited to schedule a personal visit to explore all of your living interests and needs and to see the aspects of our community that are most important to you!
- Keep an eye out for safety. A focus on safety should be apparent through each step of your tour. After all, safety and security are likely one of your top reasons for moving to an assisted living community. Talk through check-in, visitors, and infection prevention. Consider safety when looking at the apartment layout or features. And ask to see the emergency call system available to residents.
- Check in after your tour. Making the most of your tour includes what happens after the tour too. Because this is such an important choice for your family, it’s normal to need to follow up. Your tour guide will most likely contact you to answer additional questions. In some cases, you may need to do a second tour to help you make your final decision.
Schedule Your Tour of Signature Pointe
We’d love the chance to tell you more about our assisted living community. Signature Pointe is currently offering one-hour virtual tours at times throughout the day. Contact us by phone or schedule your virtual tour online today.